Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Dog Gone Cute QAL Blog Hop






Hello everyone!! Today is my day to share what I made for the Dog Gone Cute QAL. Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts designed this darling pattern and I just happened to have a dog lovin' little boy that needed a new quilt! Lorna's pattern has a ton of different options for the blocks--2 sizes, and dogs with ears up and down, one eye patch, two eye patches or none. It's a pretty amazing pattern!

The boy you see pictured above with cute smile is Ryan. He is my most difficult customer. He has a very directive style when he wants something, and especially when it comes to quilts. And especially when it came to this quilt. I started making the 18" blocks at first, and then things were getting a little out-of-hand--

"No mom, that's not the right blue".

"Mom, I wanted him to have one green ear, and one orange ear".

"That block should have been gray with a blue dog, and the other block should have been blue with a rainbow christmas tree fabric dog with vampire teeth."

While I suffered through the insanity of his choices I did make myself one little dog block in Hello Darling Fabric to soothe my desperate desire to make something girly (and a little less radical)...




So then, after a few crazy blocks Ryan decided he wanted a BIG DOG.  I was secretly thankful! Don't get me wrong; I have no problem making a dog quilt with cowboys, trucks, and Christmas tree fabric, but there's a point when you just got to question his sense of style;)

So I enlarged the pattern to make a big dog quilt. I got Ryan to compromise on colors (score!) and I chose a very manly plaid flannel for the backing. I basted it and started quilting it, but it was the first time I've ever used flannel and there were...complications. The plaid kept bunching up in the back, so I unpicked it and am attempting it a second time.

When I was trying to take a photo of the quilt top, the dogs (Sugar (the golden retriever), and Pepper (the boxer)) actually just barreled through the neighbors yard where the fence was being painted, got paint all over them, and then tried to jump up and eat the quilt. So, we managed to save the quilt, keep the dogs still for a few minutes (before Sugar wandered off--see below), and made a little boy happy:) That's a win in my book!



Make sure you check out all the other #Doggonecuteqal quilts on Instagram and see the other blog hoppers at Sew Fresh Quilts!!!




34 comments:

  1. Gorgeous BIG dog! So different from the tiny one I made at 3" x 4.5" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story, you had me laughing since I could relate to some of it :) The big dog is such a great idea, I see I'm going to have to do some math and make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Yes, I can see that Ryan is pretty pleased with his big dog quilt. You did an amazing job! I really enjoyed reading your post. What an adventure! Your puppies are cute and your kids are adorable. And you still have one little pretty dog for you..... A mug rug?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...I loved your idea about enlarging the pattern to make one BIG dog!!! Ingenious! I'm going to remember that! You kids are cuties too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah - it almost never pays to let your kids have a choice in stuff like that - my son wanted all four of his walls painted dark orange when he was five. I compromised and let him have two orange walls and two blue ones - pretty bright, let me tell you. But I LOVE the big dog. Really adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He indeed does have a very cute smile :) I'm glad you saved the quilt from any paint mishaps lol. Great job on making this quilt your own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cristina! What a great story even I think you may not have laughed when all this happened. To make a Big Dog was a fantastic idea and this quilt will be awesome! It's so difficult to make something when someone else is choosing colours. I should start baby quilt in 'petrol' and I don't have one single scrap in that colour and it doesn't inspire me. x Teje & Nero

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that huge size! Makes quite the impact. And you had quite the adventure there photographing the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making the puppy huge like that is amazing...love it! Your whole post has me smiling and laughing this morning. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it supersized - that's a fantastic idea and looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a dog gone good and entertaining time making this quilt. Glad you got Ryan to compromise for you sanity's sake, but a Christmas tree vampire dog would be any young boys dream :) Thanks for sharing your story and I love how his giant dog quilt turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Priceless! Although my picky customer is now 25, he still has a reason for all of his choices that aren't quite the norm when it comes to quilt colors. Thankful he lives in Kansas City, MO where it gets cold because he's a fairly regular customer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great quilt and i love that your boy was a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great big dog quilt! Your little pup in the flower fabric is super cute too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it upsized. The great thing about quilting is that you can give them something that is uniquely theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your pups! They're so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your extra large quilt is wonderful! Your kids are so cute and so are your real life dogs. I also like the smaller pretty dog as well. Good luck with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes! Stop everything and go get Sugar! What a cutie! So are Pepper, the children, the over-sized dog (love the dark background), and the B&C block! You've got your hands full for sure...enjoy it and don't blink because it's all over too soon. I would love to see the 18" blocks you were originally making.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea to upsize the block. How did you calculate the new measurements? It's an awesome quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your Big Dog quilt. I will have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your Big Dog quilt. I will have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your big dog quilt looks fantastic - a great twist on the pattern. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, my goodness, what a riot! Loved this post! Am so glad I stopped by while having my morning cuppa. A great way to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Compromise - loved your story :)!! My youngest loves to say "All the things I do for you", when he has to help me with something - I like to fire the same comment back, when I do things for him ;)! I just Love this Quilt. A lasting Treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great quilt story! You and Lorna should team up and offer your jumbo pup as a pattern add on! Love him!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great quilt and your pups are so cute. I know how it is having a difficult 'client', my daughter is the same

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love both quilt and story! How's it there? Settled in? Think of you often..as military do!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very funny! Great idea to make a big dog! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the large size! How do you upsize the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the big size! And totally sympathise with fussy children with questionable fashion senses!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Totally awesome idea to make the big pup size for a quilt for your son! It's perfect!! I love your story ... sew fun to read! And I am chuckling when I saw you made yourself the Hello Darling puppy block!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your big quilt turned out great!!

    I remember a little boy in this house years ago being very specific about some pairs of pants that I was making for him. They had to have pockets just like the ones Daddy wore to work (hubby was in the army.) Now, of course, you can buy cargo pants for little boys but not back then. It was such fun to see the smile on his face when he finally got to wear those pants. It melts my heart even thinking about it now!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love a child who is not afraid to voice an opinion, tee hee. Love that you blew up the block. Great job. Hope the re-quilting is going better than the original.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all comments, and will respond to you as soon as I can:) If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address so I can write you back.

XOXO Cristina